Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February First

A long day of GO Trip Training today.. I was up early and listened to a quite a few sermons about how to better serve the Lord on my trip and how to approach this opportunity not as a week long missions trip but as a jump start to a new way of living life. All in all the morning felt extremely long and tedious, but I'm sure that God taught me some things in it.

A cool thing we did today that I hadn't done before was prayer walk. We went to Wal-Mart, our team did, and did some prayer walking through the store. I was taken back by the response I got from a particular couple. They were an elderly couple and I suppose my stereotype of elderly people got in the way. I went to ask them if my friend and I could help them push their buggy to their car since it was raining and could we pray for them and they immediately said no. I guess since I grew up in the church most of the elderly people I encountered were God fearing individuals and it just caught me off guard a little bit. God was definitely tearing down some walls I had and crushing some stereotypes I have though. It was neat to walk through Wal-Mart and notice things i had never noticed before. Typically when I went to Wal-Mart it was to get groceries or other things I needed so I guess I went in, got what I needed, and left. However, when I was prayer walking with my friend Wilson today we noticed that we found ourselves noticing the different types of people much more. I found that I noticed people more when I was praying. I'm sure that as a result of this exercise I will never go into a Wal-Mart or any store for that matter and look at it the same way.

Also when reading my Bible today, I was reading Isaiah chapters 43 and following.. They were all about God bringing glory to Himself for His creation and they talk a lot about how God formed the Heavens by himself and stretched out the earth and how He alone is God and there is no other God. It was some pretty awesome stuff then I came to this passage in Isaiah 49:5-6:

"And now the Lord says-- he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord and my God has been my strength-- He says: It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the gentiles, that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."

So I was reading this and thinking about it. God that it is TOO small a task for his servant to bring the tribes of Jacob back to him. Too small a task? To me that seems like a huge task? But in God's eyes it's not. So God gives me the task of going to one orphanage in Honduras and it takes me months of preparation and fundraising and planning and i'll get to spend time with probably 100 or so people down there mostly between leaders and orphans, etc. and I view that as a huge opportunity and yet God tells his servant Isaiah that for him to redeem the tribes of Jacob, which was thousands and thousands of people, is a small task? So I guess what I got from this was that no matter what the task is for the Lord, there is still more to be done. When I return from Honduras, there will be people back home that I need to minister to and for that matter before I go to Honduras there are people here that I need to share Christ with. God wants to use me for so much more than I think He does and yea I'm not sure that any of that made sense but those were my thoughts on that passage...

Anyways.. if you took time to read all of that then you must really love me.. and if you can understand what I meant by all of that then you know me better than I know myself! Haha.. But classes start tomorrow. I think I'm going to Chili's tonight with Jordan I haven't seen him since i've been back so that will be good times..

Until next time, stay classy GO Trip Training..

No comments:

Post a Comment